Page Header

Providence Baptist Church History
150 Years 1862 - 2012

Church Beginnings – Regular preaching service by Missionary Baptists began in our community in 1859.
1st area Pastor – Brother S.G. Mason, pastor of Yanceyville Church began preaching services in several locations until the Yanceyville Church constituted by a resolution, that the brethren and sisters in this section became a regular arm of their church.
1st Building – During 1862, Providence meeting house was built on land given by the Sergents.
1st Deacons – The first deacons were ordained in the church in 1876 under the leadership of Rev. T. H. Walker.
1st Mission Contribution – The first records of a mission contribution appeared in 1882 under the ministry of Rev. B. H. Phillips.

history picture 1 1st Salaried Preacher – In 1887 we find the first record of a preacher, being employed at a set salary.
WMU – The WMU was organized around 1905 and the B.Y.P.U. around 1919.
1st Parsonage – Over the years, changes including additional Sunday School Rooms and a church auditorium were built onto the church building. The parsonage was built in 1927.
Brotherhood – During 1956, the Brotherhood was organized.
Present Sanctuary –The present brick sanctuary was completed in 1960 when Rev. Charles Jenkins served.  

history picture 2 100th Birthday – In 1962 the church observed its 100th birthday with the laying of the cornerstone to the newly completed sanctuary.
Present Parsonage – In 1968, the church completed the spacious brick parsonage with Rev. Howard Laney being the first pastor to live in the new home. In July 1970 the parsonage was dedicated to God and the debt was paid off in 1972.
Organ – In April 1970 the church received a new Hammond Organ 

history picture 3 Sign – In September 1970 the Brick Bulletin Sign was given to the church.
Other – The church has continued to be stewards of what God has given us by starting a perpetual cemetery fund, a building fund, and completing a renovation of the church sanctuary.
Invitation – So come join us as we look toward a glorious future with all hope to impact our families, community, state, nation and world with the Everlasting Word of God.

Celebrating 150 Years

1862 – 2012